Thursday, February 24, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting


Last week I didn't post. Which wasn't really by choice, but my excuse isn't very good either. I had a first draft due of an appellate brief, which took up a lot of last weekend. This isn't a good excuse because my purpose in starting this blog was to make sure I made time for cooking and baking and last week I just didn't. But instead of beating myself up about it, and boring you with details about shepardizing cases (*yawn*), I decided to make red velvet cupcakes. With cream cheese frosting. So we're good now, right? Friends again? (yeah, I thought so).

These are, in the words of Tom, "stupidly good." And I have to say I agree. They are light, fluffy, and the cake has a depth of flavor (thanks, I think, to using half olive oil, half vegetable oil and because of the buttermilk). And if that couldn't get any better, the frosting is insane. If I hadn't made it myself, I would think there were drugs in it. So give these a shot - I promise, they are worth it.

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 tbsp. cocoa powder, dutch processed
1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup olive oil
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. white distilled vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder and salt.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and oils on medium-high with an electric-mixer. After about 2 minutes the oils and sugar should be combined. Add eggs one at a time and mix until fully combined. Add food coloring and vanilla.

3. Reduce the speed to low and add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Then add half of the buttermilk. Add another 1/3 of the flour. And then the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the remaining flour. Be sure to mix thoroughly after each addition.

4. In a separate small bowl add the baking powder to the vinegar. The mixture will foam. Add the mixture to the batter and mix on medium for about 15 seconds.

5. Divide into 24 paper-lined cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes. A cake tester should come out clean.

6. Cool completely and cover with cream cheese icing (recipe below). For extra cuteness, sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Cream the butter and cream cheese for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing completely after each addition.

2. After the sugar is completely incorporated, add the vanilla and mix until combined.


2 comments:

  1. mine too, Emily! congrats again on opening your bakery - what a great accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete