Monday, December 13, 2010
It's the morning of my Torts final. And instead of freaking out I decided to post this delicious dinner that I made last night. I made lemon roasted chicken the night before my Elements final and that worked out pretty well. So I figured I would stick with a winning game plan. :o)
This is a great dinner that just does its thing in the slow cooker all day. Or, if you have a free afternoon (after you've put the books away), you can cook it for 4 hours on the high setting. It's the perfect meal for a cold night; hearty and comforting. Which is exactly what you need when you have a scary final the next morning.
Spaghetti w/Beef Ragu inspired by theKitchn
1 1/2 pounds stew beef, in chunks
salt & ground pepper
1 large onion
1 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1 carrot, peeled
3 shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
1. Add a little oil to a large skillet over high heat. Salt and pepper the beef and put the first batch into the pan. Brown each batch for about 4 minutes; be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
2. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the onion and garlic. Chop the carrot into thin rounds.
3. Lower the heat and add the onions. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion is golden.
4. Put the meat, onions, carrot, garlic, can of tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
5. When ready to serve, use a fork to shred the meat. Serve over spaghetti with fresh parmesan cheese.