Friday, July 9, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake

Two flavors that I've been obsessed with lately are blueberry and lemon. Seriously, obsessed. I wake up thinking of lemons and I always spend a little too much time perusing the awesome fruit cart that lives on our corner. I think the fruit man might be contemplating a restraining order...

There's something so summery and refreshing about both flavors. So a few days ago I set out on a quest to find a lemony-blueberry cake-type recipe that would satisfy (or at least quell) my hunger for these flavors.

There were recipes for muffins and for a buckle, which sounded delicious. But each was a little too fussy considering that I needed to be eating my blueberry lemony cake as close to now as possible.

I found the recipe I worked from on Cooking Light. I was really excited about using the reduced-fat sour cream to make this cake less dense, especially since I had my heart set on using my bundt pan, even though bundt cakes are traditionally on the heavier side.

My changes included adding lemon extract in addition to the called-for vanilla extract. I used a full pint of blueberries and didn't bother with the glaze. The result was a lot (yay!) of relatively fluffy cake, with gorgeous notes of lemon, and exploding blueberries in each bite. I know that I recently posted my Blueberry Nantucket Pie, but I donated that to our family July 4th party, so it doesn't really count (right?). Another great thing - this cake is even better then next day. Enjoy!


Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
adapted from Cooking Light


butter and flour for pan

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 heaping tbsp. lemon zest
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 (16 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
1 pint fresh blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter the bundt pan and coat with a dusting of flour. Set aside.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Add granulated sugar, butter and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended. It will be a light, fluffy yellow. (about 2 minutes)

4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after adding each egg.

5. Beat in vanilla extract, lemon extract, and sour cream.

6. Add flour mixture, beat at medium speed until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.

7. Gently fold in the blueberries by hand.

8. Spoon the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (This took my oven a full hour, which is rare. So make sure to check for done-ness)

9. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove.

10. Serve with fresh whipped cream and more blueberries(!) or with just a dusting of powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment